I was introduced to a show last night that was about these millionaires who go undercover to find sincere people trying to help their destitute communities. The goal: for the millionaire to donate some of his wealth.
The show almost brought me to tears.. not because of the sappy music and the happy feeling at the end when these people get the big cheque, but during the entire show seeing all the people in need around us. The violence, the poverty, the children, everything.
That's not all.. what got to me the most was the fact that these people that were already active in the community, most of them dedicated their entire life to what they were doing. I started thinking about how much that I have and that I want to do more. I don't want to just do my hour or two a week and give my monthly tithe. I feel as if I, along with many others have become comfortable with this as doing enough. I don't want to diminish the importance of doing this, but its just not enough for me.
We easily say - there is so much more to life than having a house and a family and stuff. We recognize that the apostles gave up their lives to spread the good news, we recognize that Jesus died, many people have died fighting for the faith... that's pretty extreme. Since when did it become not OK to be extreme?
I'm going to try and live more simply, be more generous with what I have, and look for a need and try to fill it. I want to dedicate my whole life to serving our awesome God not just a few hours of the week.
No comments:
Post a Comment